The frequency of the lunar cycle varies from year-to-year, and earlier this spring the moon moved unusally close to the Earth, a phenomenon known as a "Supermoon" due to the moon's elliptical orbit.
This month, according to KIRO 7 News, we'll experience another lunar oddity: a "Blue Moon". The term is usually reserved for a full moon occurring twice in the same month.
The fine weather for catching fine views of the moon and stars will continue into the weekend, according to the National Weather Service.
Here's the weekend forecast for Mercer Island, courtesy of the NWS:
- Tonight: Clear, with a low around 55. Northeast wind 3 to 5 mph.
- Friday: Sunny, with a high near 81. North northwest wind 3 to 7 mph.
- Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 58. North northwest wind 3 to 7 mph.
- Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 87. North wind around 6 mph.
- Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 63. North northeast wind 5 to 7 mph.
- Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 86.
- Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61.
- Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 81.