EVENTS FOR FAMILIES, July 27, 2011 – August 3, 2011
July 28: Adventure Playground at Deane's Children's Park aka the Dragon Park at
- 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursdays through August 30th
- Come dig in the dirt, build forts, play knights and dragons and create imaginary worlds using a variety of materials. Park and Recreation staff will provide materials and tools as well as guidance on how to use them safely.
- Children younger than age seven must be accompanied by an adult caretaker. Age seven to 13 may attend without an adult although adults are welcome to stay. First time participants must have a parent sign a waiver before participating.
- Cost: Free
July 28: Wonderful Wacky World of Science at the
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- For kids age five and up with an adult caregiver
- From penguins in the Southern Hemisphere to a didgeridoo from Australia, take an imaginary Science Field Trip and learn how science is used in different countries. How is life different living in high altitude? What is a bull-roarer? Find out answers to these questions and more! Sponsored by the .
July 29: Fun Mobile at the in the morning and in the afternoon
- 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Homestead Park & 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Roanoke park
- The Fun on the Run mobile entertainment van is back with lots of fabulous fun activities for the island's kids including mega squirt guns, water balloon launcher and giant slip-n-slide.
- Cost: Free
- Plan ahead with this online calendar of where the fun mobile will be in August.
July 29th to 31th: kidsfair at the
- Friday and Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Sunday 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Kids age three to twelve will enjoy lots of fun, free art activities inside the museum including painting with pastels, making colorful creations with beads and creating a spinning mini movie using your own drawings. This is a great opportunity to escape from the heat and crowds of the fair and kids love all the hands on art activities. Plus admission to all the great exhibits at the museum are free the entire weekend.
- Cost: Free
August 2: How to Train Your Dragon Showing at the Bellevue at the
- 7:30 p.m. – Pre-movie activity of Zumba begins, movie starts at dusk
- Bring the whole family to this PG rated hit movie featuring a young Vikings adventures with an unlikely friend – a dragon.
- Cost: Free but consider a donation to benefit clients of this week’s featured agency, the Highland Community Center, including paint brushes, acrylic paint, washable markets and kids craft kits. The series continues through August 23 and a schedule of upcoming movies is available online.
Summer Sale at at the Bavern in Bellevue
- Deal: Pick up some great deals to get help you get your whole family cooking together with up to 40% off of sale merchandise on grilling & cooking tools, outdoor entertainment, and great finds for your table.
- Good Through: July 31, 2011
- Deal: Your fellow Mercer Island fashionistas will be at Nordstrom this week to sweep up deals on everything from shoes to jeans to hip back to school messenger bags. Check out the deals online.
- Good Through: August 1, 2011
Redmond Town Center Going Out of Business Sale
- Deal: Up to 40% off everything in the store. Also you can only use your Borders Bucks, Borders gift cards etc. for a limited time so get in the store this week and use those up while you still can. And note that all sales are final.
- Good through: Borders Bucks expire July 31, 2011.