June 1 to August 31, 2012: Summer Reading Program at the
- Keep your kids excited about reading all summer long! Children ages preschool to twelve may register for the Summer Reading Program now at the Mercer Island Library or online.
- Prizes are available beginning July 2 until September 7th. At 500 minutes children earn a halfway prize of glow-in-the-dark stars and at 1000 minutes children will earn the finisher prize of a pair of flashing sunglasses! Elementary-age readers who finish by August 31st may enter a drawing for a Netbook computer. Preschoolers who finish by August 31st can enter their name in a drawing to win a one-year family membership to the KidsQuest Museum or a Family Fun Pack to the Woodland Park Zoo.
- Questions? Stop by the Mercer Island Library or call 206 236-3537
June 21: The Starlight Circus Show at the
- 2 pm to 2:45 pm
- All ages are welcome to this program
- The amazing "Zaniac", aka Alex Zerbe, will reach into his dreams to present a show that will inspire you to read! Watch as vegetables are sliced in half by flying playing cards and feats of juggling and balance that will keep you awake past your bedtime. Learning how to use the library has never been so much fun!
- Cost: Free
June 24: Canoe the Mercer Slough
- Trip begins and ends at the Boat Launch at Bellevue’s Enatai Beach Park
- 8:45 am to noon
- For families with kids ages five and up. Up to three people per canoe and children and youth must have one adult present for every two children or youth.
- Some paddling experience is required and participants are required to paddle the entire distance of 4 miles.
- Explore the Mercer Slough Nature Park by water. Bellevue park rangers lead this 3-hour trip from Enatai Beach Park. Trips are offered every Saturday and Sunday during the summer until the end of September.
- Questions? Call 425 452-7225
- Cost: $16 per participant. Pre-registration required by calling 425 452-6885 or register online.
June 24: at the
- 10 am to 3 pm
- Drop by with the whole family! Shop for fresh fruit, produce, flowers and lots of other delicious goodies. Your kids will enjoy free, hands-on activities at the children’s table.
- Additional parking available at the Farmers New World Life Insurance Company, Wells Fargo Bank and Maloof Building on 77th Ave. SE.
- Directions and bus route information available online.
- The 2012 Mercer Island Farmers Market runs every Sunday until October 14th, with a special last Harvest Market on November 18th.
June 24: Drop in Gym at the for Special Needs Kids and Teens
- 2 pm to 4 pm
- This is the last session for the season of this program for special needs kids and teens ages five to fifteen. Meet up with friends and family to enjoy playing in facility with your child or teen. The facility is not staffed so supervision by a parent or caregiver is required at all times.
- Cost: $3.25 per resident, $4.50 for non-residents of Mercer Island.
June 25: Reading Buddies Program at the
- 2 pm to 4 pm
- For children ages five to eight.
- Help your child learn to love reading while making a new friend. Stop by the library’s Children’s Area and your child will enjoy a 20 minute reading session with a local teen. The teen volunteers have received literacy training.
- Program runs through July 16.
- Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206 236-3537.
- Cost: Free
Join the Band and March in the Summer Celebration Parade July 14, 2012
- Does your family have a musician who would like to play in the all-volunteer, all ages Mercer Island Community Marching Band for the upcoming Summer Celebration parade? He or she can sign up to be added to the list of musicians and receive the music to be played by emailing David Menz at email@example.com.
- Rehearsal will be July 12 from 6:45 pm to 9 pm at the parish hall (two blocks west of the Mercer Island Library).
Barnes and Noble
- Kids in grades one through six can earn a free book for every eight they read this summer.
- Get started by printing out the online reading journal.
- Good through: September 4, 2012
Half Price Books
- Kids ages 14 and under can earn Half Price Books Back to School Bucks for reading in June and July.
- Earn a $5 credit for reading 300 minutes. Limit one reward per child. Get started by printing out the reading log available online.
- Good Through: July 31, 2012