A long-running tradition continues as the announced entry forms are available at several locations around town to enter the Junior Art Show.
Now in it's 37th year, this longstanding family tradition on the Island invites all students (grades K-12 during the previous school year) to submit a painting or photograph, make a craft or create three-dimensional objects to display at the Junior Art Show. Entry forms are now available at , the and the , and also downloadable from MIVAL's website by clicking here.
Submissions must be delivered on July 5, from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at Wells Fargo Bank to waiting MIVAL volunteers. Judging for the Junior Art Show will be conducted on July 7. This year, the art jurors include MIVAL members Claudia Zimmerman, Joan Johnson and Joanne and Jay Murphy, award-winning photographers.
The conditions of entry are as follows:
- All work must be original and less than 2 years old.
- Artwork that received an award in any similar art contest may not be entered.
- At the time of registration all work must be “show ready” (on a firm backing and adequately wired to hang on large hooks). No exposed glass frames.
- Two entries are allowed per category.
- You may enter both categories.
- Entry Fee is $3.00 per entry.
- Mark artwork if not for sale (NFS) or set a price.
Winning entries will be on display during Summer Celebration on Sat., July 9 and Sun., July 10 at the Wells Fargo Bank: Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m (artists can retrieve their entries from 1 - 2 p.m.). The Young Artist Awards Ceremony is held on Saturday, from 1 - 2 p.m.
The show is made possible for many years through generous monetary support of Wells Fargo Bank, and by the bank’s generous outreach letting MIVAL use the bank lobby as art gallery during Summer Celebration. Many Mercer Island Visual Arts League members also donate awards every year, with the hope to stimulate young budding artists and encourage them to spend time creating art.