It’s Thursday and you’ve got no idea what you’ll do for the weekend.
Mercer Island Patch is coming to the rescue. We’ve got the best bets for your done-with-work, get-me-outta-here time. Check our picks for the activities to hit and new establishments to explore.
- Where/When: 7:30-9 p.m. on Sat, Dec. 10 at the .
- Why Go: Join the Covenant Celebration Choir and Seattle's Taproot Theater as they present two great events rolled into one. The evening starts with the wonderful carols from the church's Celebration Choir. After a brief intermission, Taproot Theater will present a one-act play entitled Christmas in Flight.
- Cost: The event is free. All are invited. Free child care is available for ages 8 and under. (Please call 232 1015 ext 105 to make childcare reservations).
- Where/When: 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday at the .
- Why Go: Join the Youth Theatre Northwest and over forty members of the Mercer Island Youth Ballet and students from the Children’s Dance Conservatory as they bring the classic holiday ballet to life in “Excerpts from the Nutcracker.” Don't miss this Mercer Island holiday tradition!
- Cost: General admission is $22 and VIP platinum tickets are $35.
- Where/When: 2-5 p.m. Sat, Dec. 10 at .
- Why Go: Spend your Saturday relaxing with a glass of your favorite wine and live music from some of the local area's best talents as they put an Americana twist on the usual Olde Wine Store Saturday performances.
- Cost: Admission is free. All tips go to the performers.
- Where/When: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. on Sun, Dec. 11 at .
- Why Go: Join the Northwest Yeshiva High School for some Chanukah fun this Sunday. The event includes live music with Michael Bilavsky: One Man Band, breakfast, arts and crafts for kids, face painting, a bouncy house and much more. You can even shop from the local vendors on site for some holiday treats.
- Cost: $20 per family or $7 per person.
- Where/When: 2 p.m. on Friday and Sunday, 7:30 p.m. on Saturday at the in Bellevue.
- Why Go: Join the International Ballet Theatre as they make their return to Bellevue's Meydenbauer Theater to celebrate the holiday season with their annual production of The Nutcracker. Check out the IBT in action in this 2011 Nutcracker promo clip.
- Pricing: Tickets range between $25 and $50.
- Where/When: 7 to 10 p.m. Sunday at the .
- Why Go: If you've ever wanted to learn to swing dance, this Sunday might be the best time to try it out. Eastside Swing Dance will host another one of its Sunday Swing Dances at the North Bellevue Community Center this weekend. The dance starts with free group lessons from 7 to 7:30 p.m., and then you'll get to dance the night away. Not sure Swing Dancing is for you? This clip of Eastside Swing Dance in action might change your mind.
- Pricing: $10 (includes lesson)
- Where/When: 7-10 p.m. on Fri, Dec. 9 at the Seattle Art Museum in downtown Seattle.
- Why Go: Visit the Seattle Art Museum this Friday night for a special Teen Night Out event. The first performances start at 7 p.m. with the Seattle Symphony Orchestra in the galleries and at 7:30 p.m. with the Garfield Drum Line in the Brotman Forum. At 8:30 p.m. experience a Mak Fai Lion Dancers performance and then at 9 p.m. be sure to check out local hip-hop sensations, the Blue Scholars!
- Pricing: The event is free to all high-school-aged teens. Attendees much show state or high school ID.
And still you want more? Check out our family-friendly refreshed every Wednesday.