Mercer Island is getting ready for its annual celebration of the holiday season with these events starting this weekend and sponsored by the Mercer Island Parks and Recreation Department and the Mercer Island Library.
Nov. 24 - Dec. 15: Mercer Island Lions Christmas Tree Sale
- Open: W-F 2-8pm, Sa-Su 10am-8pm. Closed: M-Tu
- At the Farmers New World Life Insurance parking lot.
- Beautiful local fresh Christmas trees, great prices, and benefit to the community. A wide selection of Douglas, Noble and Frasier firs are typically available, from a 3-foot mini tree to 12-foot tall behemoth.
- Garland and wreaths also available.
- Prices range from $9 to $135 per tree, and the Lions sell evergreen garland for $1.50 a foot and $14.50 for a wreath
Dec. 1: Children’s Craft Workshop
- At Mercer Island Covenant Church
- All children are welcome to come make their own gifts for family, friends and teachers.
- Advance sign-up is not required but is recommended. Visit www.micc.org to see craft selections, get a registration form or register on-line.
- Cost: Under $5
Dec. 1 & 2: The Dickens Carolers at the Mercer Island Library
- Dec. 1: 1pm; Dec. 2: 3:30pm
- At the Mercer Island Library
- Families with kids of all ages
- Carolers adorned in Victorian dress sing holiday favorites in four-part harmonies.
- Cookies and punch provided by the Friends of the Mercer Island Library
- Cost: Free
Dec. 4-8: Santa's Helpers Gift Shop
- 10am to 5pm
- Stop by Island Salon & Spa for holiday refreshments while checking out the salon's products and gifts, embroidery and many other items from the salon staff.
- Cost: Refreshments are free, prices of goods vary.
Dec. 7: Mercer Island Tree Lighting and Firehouse Munch
- 6 to 8:30 pm
- For kids of all ages
- Gather at the Mercerdale Park for the tree lighting then move to the North Fire Station for the Firehouse munch. Radio Disney, caroling, and tree lighting in the park and then Santa photos, chili feed, arts/crafts, music and treats at Firehouse.
- Cost: Free. Families may choose to donate a new, unwrapped toy for the Toys for Tots gift drive.
Dec. 8: Breakfast with Santa
- At the Mercer Island Community & Event Center.
- Pre-register by calling 206-275-7609 or online at myparksandrecreation.com
- Cost: $9+tax for adults, $7+tax for children.
Dec. 11: Gingerbread Boy Puppet Show
- 10:30 am
- Ages 3 and older & families welcome
- Set in a magical world of candy, cookies and ice cream. Too much spice is added to the batter and the Gingerbread Boy stops the production of holiday goodies.
- At the Mercer Island Library, and sponsored by the Friends of the Mercer Island Library.
Dec. 15: SJCC Community Hanukkah Celebration - Hanukkah Under the Stars
- 5:30 pm–7:30 pm
- All are welcome to this event at the Stroum Jewish Community Center
- This community Hannukah celebration includes a concert, storytime, arts and crafts, and community candle lighting
- Cost: Free admission with donation of personal items to Jewish Family Service such as toothpase, toothbrushes, deodorant, shampoo or soap.
Dec. 16: Dessert Before Dinner Holiday Concert Fundraiser (Benefitting MI Parks and Rec)
- Desserts, music from students and teachers of Mercer Island Music, and Musical Mind Studio and holiday shopping. Silent auction highlights; Great Wolfe Lodge, Mariner tickets, Margarita painting party, restaurant gift cards, Youth Theatre NW, Children's theatre, Village Theatre, Woodland Park Zoo, Golf, music lessons, jewelry, gift baskets, and much more!
- Register by calling 206-275-7609 or online at myparksandrecreation.com.
- Mercer Island Community & Event Center.