Every Thursday, Mercer Island Patch runs a feature called Patch Picks, highlighting editor and reader picks of great local businesses, destinations, services, organizations, ways to spend a day off, and more.
For this week, we look at what membership many local clubs on Mercer Island have to offer, including access to sports like horseback riding, water polo, tennis, baseball, sailing and basketball. Here are some Mercer Island Clubs you might consider joining.
- offers seven indoor and eight outdoor tennis courts, a 25-yard eight lane swimming pool, a complete fitness facility, a group exercise studio, child care, locker rooms with sauna, barbecue and picnic area, a lounge area with kitchen and a card room
- houses a 20-horse barn, a large outdoor arena, a covered arena, a hot water wash rack and two turnout paddocks. Members can board their horse, lease a horse and take riding lessons with independent trainers.
- grounds include a two-level clubhouse, a 25-meter swimming pool, four outdoor tennis courts, a fitness center, a sandy beach with roped off swim area, a play structure, barbeques and picnic tables, a boat launch, boat moorage and beach showers. And apparently, some refreshing Bahama Mamas at "The Manta Bar" — when it's open.
- has long been known for running many of the island's youth sports teams, including Little League baseball and softball. In addition, numerous opportunities are available for camping excursions and experience learning. Youth service programs, such as the Keystone and Torch Club, encourage older children to give back through service to the community.
- is located on the waterfront in the Southend of Mercer Island. This family oriented member-owned club has been active since 1953. The grounds include two swimming pools (an eight lane competition pool and an activity pool with a lazy river), six outdoor tennis courts, a fitness center, outdoor pickle-ball, basketball and volleyball courts, a sandy beach, a lake roped off swimming area with dock and waterslide, a play structure, boat moorage, a firepit and a barbeque area with many picnic tables.