The National Weather Service in Seattle has issued an Excessive Heat Watch for high temperatures expected to reach the mid 90s on Thursday, Aug. 16 and Friday, Aug. 17.
The affected areas run along the entire Eastern Puget Sound, including the Mercer Island and the greater Seattle area, and the Southwest interior of the state.
The NWS has also issued a "Red Flag" warning for potential high wind gusts on Thursday and low humidity — mainly in East King County at higher elevations. We could see easterly winds of 6 to 12 mph, with potential gusts — even well into the lowlands — of 20 to 30 mph in the hours after sunrise on Thursday morning.
The National Weather Service alert says that due to these conditions, heat-related illnesses are possible and that residents should stay out of the sun for prolonged periods, drinking plenty of water, spending time inside an air-conditioned room, and to check-up on relatives and neighbors. The low humidity and winds could also help potential fires that start to spread rapidly, and are therefore advising people to take precautions and be prepared.
With a local fire resources already are taxed.
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are here or on the way, and the combination of strong winds, low relative humidity, and warm temperatures can create explosive fire growth potential.
To see where you are in the zone, go to the National Weather Service website.
Here's the forecast for the next five days, according to the NWS:
- This Afternoon Sunny, with a high near 86. North wind 6 to 10 mph.
- Tonight Clear, with a low around 62. North wind 5 to 9 mph becoming light north northeast.
- Thursday Sunny, with a high near 92. East northeast wind 5 to 7 mph becoming north northwest in the afternoon.
- Thursday Night Clear, with a low around 63. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
- Friday Sunny, with a high near 93. Calm wind.
- Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 64.
- Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 85.
- Saturday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58.
- Sunday Partly sunny, with a high near 77.
— Information from the National Weather Service