Is Your Child's Immunization Record Ready for Back-to-School?

Non-immunized children require additional certification to attend child care, preschool and public school under new State Department of Health guidelines published this year.

The State Department of Health is telling parents that now’s the time to make sure children are protected from diseases before they start school, according to a press release.

Children are required by the state to be innoculated with several vaccines or obtain a certified waiver from their doctor before they can attend school and child care.

Washington state is currently experiencing a , with nearly 3,300 cases of whooping cough reported so far this year — more than has been reported in .

Two vaccines protect against diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis – or whooping cough. The DTaP vaccine is required for kids entering child care and kindergarten. One dose of Tdap vaccine is required for kids 11 and older in sixth through 11th grade. All vaccines required to enroll in school are available to children at no cost.

“We must be sure our kids start the school year on the right foot,” said State Health Officer Dr. Maxine Hayes, a pediatrician. “Unvaccinated kids are more likely to catch and spread serious illnesses like whooping cough. That’s why it’s so important to protect children from this and other preventable diseases.”

Parents can find out which vaccines are required for school and child care attendance online. Be sure to ask for vaccination records from your health care provider for your children now so you’ll have enough time to get any immunizations they might need.

Kids who aren’t fully immunized may be sent home from school, preschool, or child care if a disease outbreak occurs. Last year a new law changed the process for parents or guardians to exempt their child from required immunizations. They must now fill out and submit an exemption certificate, signed by a health care provider verifying the provider has shared information on immunization benefits and risks.

No-cost vaccines are offered for children up to age 19 through health care providers participating in the state’s Childhood Vaccine Program — including most physicians on Mercer Island. An office visit fee and a fee to give the vaccine, called an administration fee, may be applied. People who can’t afford the administration fee can ask the health care provider to waive the cost.

For help finding a health care provider or an immunization clinic, contact a local health agency or the WithinReach (www.withinreachwa.org) Family Health Hotline at 1-800-322-2588.

(Ed. Note: Information in the article was published from a State Department of Health press release.)


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »