Local public television station KCTS 9 will broadcast The 2011 awards presentation tonight at 8 p.m., honoring as a "School of Excellence".
The Golden Apple Awards are designed to honor outstanding teachers and programs that showcase the best in education in Washington state. Hosted by KCTS 9’s Enrique Cerna on, the 20th annual Golden Apple awards was taped on Feb. 3 at Seattle’s Intiman Theatre Playhouse.
Assistant Principal Craig Olson appeared on behalf of the school district to accept the award and spoke on the district's behalf. Savoring the recognition at a Feb. 8 school board meeting, Mercer Island School Superintendent Gary Plano proudly placed the shiny golden apple on a wooden pedestal in front of the dais for the public to see.
The Golden Apple School of Excellence, awarded for the first time this year, considers quantitative and qualitative criteria to assess schools in Washington state that are meeting the needs of today’s diverse student populations.
The nominees were evaluated by representatives from OSPI, Washington Education Association, Association of School Principals, Washington state PTA, and prior Golden Apple Award winners.
The Golden Apple Awards are sponsored by KCTS 9 and funded by the PEMCO Foundation and School Employees Credit Union of Washington. Special funding for the 2011 Golden Apple School of Excellence Awards comes from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Here is a complete list of the winners of the 2011 Golden Apple Awards:
2011 Golden Apple Awards - Individual Winners
- Lary Barilleau, Hamilton International Middle School, Seattle
- Dan Brown, Okanogan High School, Okanogan
- Pamela Landoni, Hellen Haller Elementary, Sequim
- Beverly Mowrer, New Start High School, Burien
- Marcus Pimpleton, Denny-Sealth Music, Seattle
- Valerie Stensland, Dutch Hill Elementary, Snohomish
- George Thornton, Oroville High School, Oroville
- Jennifer Wiley, Franklin High School, Seattle
2011 Golden Apple Awards - Program Winners
- College Mentor Program, Wenatchee School District, Wenatchee
- Lincoln Center, Lincoln High School, Tacoma
2011 Golden Apple Schools of Excellence
- Garfield High School, Seattle
- Mercer Island High School, Mercer Island