(Ed. Note: The following public safety message was provided by Mercer Island Police Department Ofc. Rob Jira)
As we edge closer to the 4th of July, we at the want to wish everyone a Happy Independence Day. While you are celebrating this historic day, we wanted to give you a few tips to keep you, your family, and your friends safe.
- Only purchase fireworks from LEGAL consumer firework establishments.
- Fireworks can be purchased on Mercer Island between June 28th and July 4th (MICC 8.35).
- Discharge of these legal fireworks are allowed on ONE DAY ONLY – July 4th from 11 A.M. to 11 P.M (MICC 8.35).
- Fireworks in public parks are PROHIBITED except as part of a duly authorized public firework display (MICC 9.30.070).
- Fireworks are NOT ALLOWED on school property or at school sponsored events (MISD Policy #5114).
- Visually inspect every firework that you possess. Make sure that these fireworks look “safe and sane” to use. If fireworks look altered/illegal/unsafe, call 9-1-1 and have the Police Department or Fire Department inspect your fireworks.
For other safety tips, general information, and statistical data involving the use of fireworks see http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/focus/fireworks.shtm and http://www.fireworkssafety.org/