It’s Thursday, and you’ve got no idea what you’ll do for the weekend.
Mercer Island Patch is coming to the rescue. We’ve got the best bets for your done-work, outta-here time. Check our picks for the activities to hit and new bars/restaurants/shops to explore.
- Where/When: 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 17 at Bellevue College
- The Mercer Island High School Islanders (19-8) face the Bellevue Wolverines (18-6) for the fifth and final time this season in a loser-out game in the SeaKing District tournament. Bellevue have had the Islanders' number this year, winning 3 of 4 meetings. See some of the state's most talented basketball players and cheer for the hometown team!
- Where/When: 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 17 at Aljoya Mercer Island.
- Why Go: The Mercer Island Sister City Association, the Mercer Island Arts Council and Aljoya are teaming up to co-host this free French film night at Aljoya on Friday night. Lance Rhodes, a University of Washington instructor of Cinema Studies, will be providing introduction and post commentary. Complimentary wine and cheese will be hosted by Aljoya in the lobby at 6:30 p.m. The 78 minute French film with English subtitles will begin at 7:30 p.m.
- Cost: Free.
- Where/When: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 18 at Upper Luther Burbank Park.
- Why Go: Join Mountains to Sound Greenway and other volunteers this Saturday as they remove various invasive species such as blackberry, ivy, and holly as well as planting native trees in their place in Upper Luther Burbank Park. This is a great way to give back to your community and make a big difference in the greater Greenway Landscape.
- Cost: Free. Register online here: www.mtsgreenway.org/volunteer
- Where/When: 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 18 at Lot no. 3 in Bellevue.
- Why Go: Help support The Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Research by attending the first annual Totally Teal Toast, an 80’s themed fundraising bar crawl in downtown Bellevue. Participants will start with their initial toast at 12:30pm and continue down to four other fabulous establishments in the area: Pearl Bar and Dining, Paddy Coynes, Lucky Strike and Earls. With an all out 80’s theme, participants should plan to wear their finest neon gear. Prizes will be given out for best costume with giveaways from Totally Teal Toast sponsors, including the award winning Woodinville Whiskey Company.
- Cost: $60. Includes 5 drinks and a fanny pack.
- Where/When: 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday at the Meydenbauer Center in Bellevue.
- Why Go: See a favorite children's storybook character, Fancy Nancy come to life! Based on the book by Jane O'Conner with illustrations by Robin Preiss Glasser, this charming adaptation of Bonjour Butterfly is sure to delight. Stick around after the performance and meet Fancy Nancy Illustrator and former ballerina, Robin Preiss-Glasser!
- Cost: $19 for adults and $12 of students.
- Where/When: 1-5 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 18 at the Kent Senior Center.
- Why Go: Put on your dancing shoes and get down to the Kent Senior Center this Saturday for this festive Bluegrass Jam and Concert. The lineup includes Phil Hansen and “Acoustic Couti", Bob Jones' February Surprise, Convergence Zone, and Norm Heutmaker’s sing-a-long.
- Cost: Free.
- Where/When: 11 a.m. - 12 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 18 at the Renton History Museum.
- Why Go: Like the American South and Northeast, Washington state has its own story of slavery, and a young boy named Charles Mitchell represented one of those stories. Join the Renton History Museum this Saturday as they share Mitchell's extraordinary story--how he came to the Northwest and how events almost led to an international incident with Canada.
- Cost: $3 for adults, $1 for students, members get in free.
- Where/When: 7:30 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 19 at the Renton Civic Theater.
- Why Go: A One-Act Production's newest play premieres this Sunday at the Renton Civic Theater. Fast paced with tart tongued dialogue and rich in laughter, tears and insight, Pavane is a glowing tribute to human strength and love. Enjoy the show!
- Cost: Tickets are $15.
And still you want more? Check out our family-friendly Play Date! refreshed every Wednesday.